The Ultimate Recycling Statement
DeepStream Designs’ mantra: “Reduce, Reuse, Recycle,” is evident in recycled plastic lumber planters and recycling bins created to reduce human impact on the environment. As I pointed out in a blog on Plastic Lumber Planters more and more customers are making the switch to recycled plastic lumber reducing environmental impact at the same time as maintenance costs.
Recycled Plastic Lumber is perfect for clients that are working on projects striving to integrate sustainable design into their projects. Using Recycled Plastic Lumber (RPL) for planters not only reduces tropical rainforest deforestation but it also greatly reduces maintenance for you saving you time, money, and effort.
For 10 years now, DeepStream Designs has been building planters with the same sophisticated design as the wood Mariner planter using HDPE plastic lumber made from 100% recycled milk jugs and also planters from Phenolic resin and 100% recycled cardboard. Recycled Plastic Lumber (RPL) combined with our trademark marine aluminum extrusions and aircraft aluminum frameless design is a no-nonsense “set and forget it package” perfect for restaurants, commercial installations, and residential projects where minimal maintenance is as important as aesthetics.
As with all planters, the plants themselves help cool the earth, cleaning the air by producing oxygen as they convert and trap carbon. In addition, RPL planters crafted by DeepStream reduce man’s impact on the environment because:
- It’s RECYCLED and RECYCLABLE!
– Using recycled plastic lumber or cardboard and phenolic lumber planks eliminates the cutting of trees and uses far less energy to ship and manufacture.
– The plastic lumber DeepStream uses is made from recycled HDPE (high-density polyethylene) from milk jugs and other polyethylene packaging that might otherwise be destined for landfills.
– The planter and recycle bin liners are also both made from LLDPE ( low–density polyethylene).
– Aluminum, the world’s most available and abundant mineral, legs and straps, along with plastic components are 100% recyclable.
- Maintenance Free!
– Uses no energy, chemicals, or materials to maintain.
– Recycled plastic lumber never needs to be painted, oiled, or stained and won’t rot, splinter or split an in DeepStream’s marine anodized frame with no paint or powder coating to fail it can be pressure cleaned.
– Proprietary extruded legs of 6063-T5 aluminum are finished with a durable etched marine anodized finish and HDPE non-scuff feet.
– Stainless steel fasteners are installed with dialectric paste to prevent corrosion.
– Modular design facilitates easy repair should a product be damaged. Recycle the damaged piece and receive a replacement piece at DeepStream’s manufacturing cost, using their Core Replacement Program. Don’t throw away that valuable product!
- RPL Colors won’t fade – Ultra-violet stabilizers used in the lumber ensure colors look as vibrant decades from now as they do today.
- Cost Effective – Working with 100% recycled plastic lumber and cardboard phenolic lumber not only reduces production costs, but it also requires NO MAINTENANCE, reducing the life-cycle-cost of ownership over time compared to wood Garden Planters.
While the 100% recycled plastic lumber specified for DeepStream is still full 3/4″ thick tongue and groove planking with a simulated wood grain, and only a few cents a square foot less than natural hardwood lumber, several aspects of Commercial LEED Garden Planters and Recyclers reduce the manufacturing cost without cutting quality so that DeepStream can pass along the savings to its customers:
- Planter Boxes and waterproof liners with drainage are stocked in specific sizes to eliminate waste.
- Planing, sanding, and hand-rubbed finish are eliminated taking hours off of production time and saving energy.
Optional drain attachments with overflow control on the liners allow planters to be used in any interior or exterior installations.
Planters with liners ship fully assembled, just add dirt, or they can be disassembled for shipping or flat storage in 15 minutes.
“Ipe” Brown RPL planters
“Ipe” Brown RPL planters
Phenolic, cardboard and resin, planks look like leather and thrive in the harshest conditions.
Shown here with aluminum Zephyr banding separating the planks on a 36″ cube Mariner planter and stock liner.
For more information on Sustainable Garden Planter Design click here.